An anniversary is a special occasion that deserves a special destination, with many of us now being eco-conscience minded, the choices for Ecotourism has gained popularity all over the world. Hotel and resorts offer much eco friendlier options and of course there are specialists offering the perfect eco destinations.
So what is and can be described as a eco-tourist destination? Eco-friendly tourism is a type of sustainable tourism that aims to minimize the negative impact of tourism on the environment, while promoting conservation and responsible tourism practices.
When planning an eco-friendly trip, it is important to consider several factors that can help reduce your environmental footprint and supports the local community.
Eco Friendly Accommodation
One of the most important aspects of eco-friendly tourism is choosing eco-friendly accommodation. Look for hotels or resorts that have implemented sustainable practices such as reducing water consumption, using renewable energy sources, and recycling waste. Some accommodations also offer activities that promote conservation, such as bird watching, whale watching, or sea turtle conservation to mention just a few.
Eco Friendly Travel
Transportation is another important factor to consider. Try and choose a destination that can be reached by public transportation or by walking or cycling and avoid renting a car if possible. Of course this is probably not possible if your destination is some 2000 miles away, it could take weeks if not months to reach. This is where we look at off setting our carbon footprint and consider alternatives when reaching our desired eco friendly resort. Such as, look for an eco-friendly car rental company that offers hybrid or electric vehicles.
When exploring your destination, choose activities that have a minimal impact on the environment. Instead of taking a guided tour in a large bus, consider walking or cycling tours maybe activities such as kayaking or snorkeling. If you do take a guided tour, choose a company that supports conservation efforts and employs local guides.
Supporting local businesses is also important when practicing eco-friendly tourism. Choose restaurants that serve locally sourced and organic food and buy souvenirs that are made by local artisans using sustainable materials.
USA Eco Friendly Destinations
The United States is home to many breath-taking natural wonders that are perfect for eco-tourism. From national parks to scenic coastlines, there are plenty of destinations to choose from. Here are the top 5 eco-tourism locations in the USA:
- Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming: Yellowstone is one of the most famous national parks in the world, and for good reason. The park is home to a diverse range of wildlife, including grizzly bears, wolves and bison, as well as geothermal features such as geysers and hot springs. Visitors can hike, camp and take guided tours to explore the park’s natural beauty while learning about its history and conservation efforts.
- Acadia National Park, Maine: Acadia is a stunning coastal park located in Maine, known for its rocky shores, lush forests and scenic trails. Visitors can hike or bike through the park, take a guided kayak tour or explore the park’s carriage roads by horse-drawn carriage. The park is also home to a wide range of wildlife, including moose, deer and seabirds.
- Olympic National Park, Washington: Olympic is a diverse and rugged park located on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state. The park features old-growth rainforests, alpine meadows and pristine beaches, as well as glaciers and waterfalls. Visitors can hike, camp or take guided tour to explore the park’s natural beauty and can also participate in conservation programs and volunteer opportunities.
- Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona: The Grand Canyon is one of the most iconic natural wonders in the world, known for its breath taking vistas and steep canyon walls. Visitors can hike or bike along the rim of the canyon, take a guided tour or explore the park’s backcountry. The park is also home to a diverse range of wildlife, including elk, bighorn sheep and the California condors.
- Big Sur, California: Big Sur is a rugged and wild stretch of coastline located in central California. Visitors can hike along the coast or through the incredible redwood forests, take in a guided tour or simply relax on the beach. The area is also home to many eco-friendly accommodation and restaurants, as well as opportunities for whale watching and bird watching.
The United States is home to many stunning natural wonders that are perfect for eco-tourism. From national parks to scenic coastlines, these destinations offer the perfect combination of natural beauty, adventure and sustainability, making them ideal for eco-conscious travelers who want to make a positive impact while enjoying a memorable anniversary vacation.
European Eco Friendly Destinations
Europe like the USA has many countries and locations that are now becoming and have been for many years eco friendly locations. Here are the top 5 eco-tourism locations in Europe:
- Iceland: Iceland is a country known for its dramatic landscapes, including glaciers, waterfalls and geothermal hot springs. Visitors can hike, bike or horseback ride through the country’s dramatic scenic countryside, or take a dip in one of the many natural hot springs. Iceland is also home to a variety of eco-friendly accommodation and restaurants, making it a great destination for eco-conscious travelers.
- The Azores, Portugal: The Azores are a group of volcanic islands located off the coast of Portugal. The islands offer a unique combination of natural beauty and culture, with opportunities for hiking, whale watching and exploring its historic towns. Home to several eco-friendly hotels, homes and restaurants, making it a great destination for sustainable tourism.
- The Swiss Alps, Switzerland: The Swiss Alps offer some of the most stunning mountain scenery in the world. Visitors can hike, bike or ski through the mountain ranges, or take a scenic train ride through the countryside. The Swiss Alps are also home to many eco-friendly hotels and restaurants, making it a great European destination for eco-conscious travelers.
- The Plitvice Lakes, Croatia: The Plitvice Lakes are a series of interconnected lakes and waterfalls located in Croatia. Visitors can hike along the boardwalks that wind through the lakes, or take a boat tour to explore the park’s natural beauty. These lakes are also home to a variety of wildlife, including bears, wolves, and lynx.
- The Scottish Highlands, Scotland: The Scottish Highlands offer some of the most rugged and wild landscapes in Europe. Visitors can again hike or bike through the stunning countryside and explore the Lochs with its historic castles and landscapes.
Let´s not forget Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, these countries and continents offer many beautiful and sustainable places that are perfect for celebrating your love while also protecting the planet and some of the best anniversary destinations for the eco-conscious minded.
At a risk of being preachy, be mindful of your environmental impact while traveling. These simple things can be done every day and help reduce your waste by bringing a reusable water bottle and shopping bag and avoid single-use plastics. Turn off lights and electronics when leaving your room and conserve water by taking shorter showers and reusing towels.
By following these eco-friendly tourism tips, you can help minimize your environmental footprint and support sustainable tourism practices. Not only will you have a more responsible and fulfilling travel experience, but you will also contribute to the preservation of the planet’s natural beauty and resources for future generations to enjoy.
About The Author
This page has been written by Justin Aldridge. Justin is passionate about helping couples to make their anniversary as special as possible. Justin enjoys being creative and coming up with different and inspiring ideas for couples to celebrate their anniversary in style each year.
Leave a Reply