Traditional, Modern and Symbolic Anniversary Gifts
Below is a list of both traditional and modern gift materials, as well as classic flower and gemstone symbols, which mark a couple’s 7th wedding anniversary in countries around the world…
|Traditional Gift – UK||Wool|
|Traditional Gift – US||Wool and Copper|
|Traditional Gift – Spain||Wool|
|Traditional Gift – Germany||Copper|
|Traditional Gift – Russia||Copper|
|Traditional Gift – France||Wool|
|Traditional Gift – Italy||Wool|
|Modern Gift||Desk Stationery Set|
About 7th Wedding Anniversaries
The key symbols representing your 7th wedding anniversary are copper and wool – both known for producing heat.
Highlighting warmth, comfort, safety and security, these elements are certainly appropriate (and necessary) ingredients for consolidating a healthy and stable marriage.
So happily reflect on those traits as you celebrate seven years together.
How to Celebrate a 7th Wedding Anniversary
The 7th wedding anniversary is a more important milestone than some people might immediately realise.
After all, the phrase “seven year itch” derives from the conventional wisdom that – if a couple have made it through their seventh year of marriage without falling victim to divorce – it is highly likely they will stay married for the rest of their lives.
Now, that is really something to celebrate in style.
I think it’s wonderful that you’re married. I think it’s just elegant.” Quoted by The Girl, played by Marilyn Monroe in 1955 romantic comedy film “The Seven-Year-Itch”
7th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him, Her… and the Couple
You could choose to buy something from each theme or splash out on some stunning jewellery. There are many different items that showcase your love and appreciation of a solid marriage that is entering its eighth year.
Copper is one of the two symbolic gifts that are traditionally chosen to celebrate a 7th wedding anniversary.
Copper has long been a symbol of both prosperity and luck. And couples who make it to this milestone have certainly experienced good fortune in first of all finding each another and subsequently spending seven happy years together.
There is a wide range of copper gifts that are both practical and meaningful. If you are handy with metal-working tools, you could even make something yourself from copper.
Fashion jewellery using copper and onyx and yellow sapphire gemstones is a wonderfully personal anniversary gift that will always be treasured.
7th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him
What can I buy my husband for our 7th wedding anniversary?
For a woollen gift, how about a sweater made in the Aran Islands of Ireland featuring the pattern known as “marriage lines”, which has twists and turns in the design – representing the ups-and-downs of a marriage.
There are more gift suggestions below, but also remember to check out our other anniversary pages for additional gift ideas.
7th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Her
What should I buy my wife on our 7th wedding anniversary?
The two symbolic gifts for your wife celebrating this special year of marriage are copper and wool – with wool representing the warmth of your love and the comfort prevailing in your relationship.
Still looking for an anniversary gift for your wife? Check out the ideas below or those showcased on our other anniversary pages. We are sure we have something for you to choose – and for her to savour.
7th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him & Her
Travel & Experience Gifts
- Location visit (to a sheep farm or wool workshop)
- Travel gift vouchers
- Romantic meal at a favourite restaurant
- Luxury afternoon tea for two
- Pleasure flight for two
- Luxury spa day for two
- Theme park and rides
The traditional 7th wedding anniversary gemstones are onyx and yellow sapphire.
- Tie Pin
Something Different & Unique
- Instal a copper garden fire pit.
- Incorporate copper artwork for inside the home or outdoors.
- Arrange a surprise holiday getaway in Ireland’s Aran Islands.
- Celebrate with a party at home or in a local pub, bar or restaurant.
As with all wedding anniversaries, you can choose a traditional gift or be inventive and select something a little out of the box. Whatever you decide on, make sure your 7th wedding anniversary is enjoyable for both of you – and memorable.
15 Fun Facts About Wool
- Wool fabric is made from natural fibres forming the fleece of animals including sheep, alpacas, llamas, yaks, goats, rabbits and camels.
- As this raw material is primarily made up of keratin-based proteins, wool is an extremely elastic material.
- Alpaca wool can come in 22 different colours.
- The finest and rarest wool in the world is vicuña – from the small llama-like animal of the same name, native to Peru’s Andes mountains.
- Sheep’s fleece has been used for human clothing since the Stone Age.
- One sheep can produce between 13 and 14 kilograms of wool per year.
- Wool absorbs and releases water vapour as humidity rises and falls, meaning it works well as a natural insulator.
- Even when damp, it can still keep you warm.
- Good news for those who don’t particularly enjoy ironing: wool is wrinkle-resistant.
- Remarkably, it is also fire-resistant.
- Wool provides natural UV protection – for both humans and sheep.
- Australia is the leading producer of wool, about 345 million kilograms a year, which is one-quarter of the world’s total production.
- According to the Guinness World Records, the fastest time to shear a single mature sheep is 37.90 seconds – by Irishman Ivan Scott in Castlepollard, County Westmeath in 2010.
- The word jersey originally meant any knitted item made from Jersey wool, especially stockings.
- Felted wool yarn balls can be used as an eco-friendly alternative to dryer sheets and liquid fabric softener.