Traditional, Modern and Symbolic Anniversary Gifts
Below is a list of both traditional and modern gift materials, as well as classic flower and gemstone symbols, which mark a couple’s 65th wedding anniversary in countries around the world…
|Traditional Gift – UK||Blue Sapphire|
|Traditional Gift – US||Blue Sapphire|
|Traditional Gift – Spain||Platinum|
|Traditional Gift – Germany||Iron|
|Traditional Gift – Russia||Iron|
|Traditional Gift – France||Rosewood|
|Traditional Gift – Italy||Platinum|
|Flower Gift||Blue Hydrangea|
|Gemstone Gift||Blue Sapphire|
|Modern Gift||Castle Visit|
About 65th Wedding Anniversaries
The gemstone traditionally associated with 65th wedding anniversary celebrations could hardly be more appropriate. The blue sapphire is symbolic of loyalty, and is also thought to bring inner peace, fulfill dreams and create prosperity.
This beautiful gemstone makes stunning jewellery – for both men and women – so why not splash out on his and her rings for 65th wedding anniversary gifts?
As for this year’s traditional colour, blue is said to symbolise trust, peace, loyalty and integrity – again, all longstanding personal characteristics you would expect to find in a couple celebrating 65 years of married life together.
If you were married in 1956, you share a milestone with one of the most famous couples in 20th century history. Hollywood actress Grace Kelly and Monaco’s Prince Rainier III shared wedding vows on 18 April 1956 (which would have been 65 years in 2021).
Perhaps you could make this your own regal celebration? Children, grandchildren and even great-grandchildren may well want to club together to organise an extra-special celebration – like a family break in a castle. There are many to choose from, and this would be a wonderful gift for the “royalty” in your extended family.
Gift Ideas for the Couple
There is no specific flower popularly associated with 65 years of marriage, leaving the choice up to your imagination. How about a mixed bunch of sapphire blue flowers – for example, blue hydrangea and delphiniums combined with white roses – which would be in keeping with the overall theme of this anniversary, and a beautifully fragrant gift for any couple.
If your main wedding anniversary tradition is a family meal, and your numbers have grown considerably by now, conveniently taking over a whole restaurant can be arranged with some careful planning. All the better if it’s the anniversary couple’s favourite dining establishment…
Luxury Hotel Breaks
Here are just a few suggestions for treating loved ones celebrating 65 years of marriage to a memorable getaway. We have many UK destinations to choose from, so a long journey may not be required.
Luxury Two Night Stay
Deluxe two night hotel break for two… This short getaway covers 65 UK locations and would be a great anniversary gift. Consider booking rooms for yourselves and the family at the same time, to make the occasion even more memorable.
Luxury One Night Stay
Enjoy a family get-together to celebrate this very special wedding anniversary… Your stay will include a three-course dinner with a glass of fizz each and breakfast in the morning.
Couples celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary may be entitled to receive a card from the Queen, and this can be organised through Buckingham Palace. Make sure your special couple receive theirs.
Fairytale Marriage… The Prince and the Actress
- Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier III of Monaco were married on 18 April 1956.
- A former child actor and model, Grace Kelly gained her first big break in 1952, starring as Gary Cooper’s wife in High Noon.
- Her performance in The Country Girl, as the wife of an alcoholic songwriter played by Bing Crosby, won Kelly an Oscar in 1954.
- She played opposite Jimmy Stewart that same year in Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Window.
- It was while filming another Hitchcock movie, To Catch a Thief (1955), on the French Riviera that Kelly met Prince Rainier, and he subsequently initiated an extended correspondence to woo her.
- She retired from acting at 26 to marry the prince, and they had three children: Caroline, Albert II (the current Monaco monarch) and Stéphanie.
- Grace Kelly tragically died at 52 years of age, when her car plunged off a Cote D’Azur mountain road on 14 September 1982.
- Prince Rainier passed away on 6 April 2005, from complications relating to a lung infection believed to have been caused by his frequent smoking (60 cigarettes a day).