Traditional, Modern and Symbolic Anniversary Gifts
Below is a list of both traditional and modern gift materials, as well as classic flower and gemstone symbols, which mark a couple’s 64th wedding anniversary in countries around the world…
|Traditional Gift – UK||No traditional gift|
|Traditional Gift – US||No traditional gift|
|Traditional Gift – Spain||No traditional gift|
|Traditional Gift – Germany||No traditional gift|
|Traditional Gift – Russia||No traditional gift|
|Traditional Gift – France||Broadtail/Karakulcha|
|Traditional Gift – Italy||No traditional gift|
|Modern Gift||Dinner for Two|
About 64th Wedding Anniversaries
The 64th wedding anniversary is not traditionally associated with any symbols, flowers or gemstones. So how about setting a new trend focused on the sun? The colour yellow is said to represent acquired knowledge and – at a psychological level – hope, happiness and fun.
These are traits we would certainly expect to find in a couple celebrating 64 years of marriage, and still enjoying a sunny disposition that has become one of the key secrets of their long married lives together.
How to Celebrate a 64th Wedding Anniversary
If you are looking for gift ideas – for your partner, parents, grandparents or even great-grandparents – consider an unusual gemstone like the sunstone, which is formed from crystal growth created by cooling lava flows.
The stone is most frequently found in pale yellow, but it also comes in shades of red, orange and green. Flaws in the face of the gemstone reflect the light, making the stone appear to glow as if from an internal light source – hence its name.
This gorgeous stone set in sterling silver or white gold, as a pendant or a ring, cufflinks or tie-pin, would make an exquisite gift to be treasured for years to come.
Alternatively, you could bring Van Gogh’s painting to life and buy a vase of sunflowers to create a renewed burst of sunshine in your home.
If you would simply like to celebrate a quiet meal for two, you can still indulge yourselves and try something new. Challenge the chef at your favourite restaurant by asking for the wickedly indulgent menu from the book Chocolat by Joanne Harris.
“When I’m Sixty Four”… by the Beatles
Paul McCartney didn’t exactly have 64th wedding anniversaries in mind when he wrote “When I’m Sixty-Four” – but it was about love. So what is the story behind this track from the 1967 Beatles album Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band?
- McCartney wrote the melody to the song when he was just 14, probably at 20 Forthlin Road (Liverpool) in April or May 1956.
- It is sung by a young man to his lover, and is about his plans for them to grow old together.
- It has been speculated that McCartney might have been thinking of the song when recording began for Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band in December 1966, as his father Jim had turned 64 earlier that year.
- McCartney himself recalled in 1987, “I wrote a lot of stuff thinking I was going to end up in the cabaret, not realising that rock and roll was particularly going to happen. When I was 14 there wasn’t much of a clue that it was going to happen.”
Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas for Him, Her, Parents and Grandparents
Travel & Experience Gifts
- Relaxing spa day at a boutique hotel
- Wine tasting and vineyard tour
- Cocktail-making and spirits tasting
- Vintage car drive through the countryside
- Tickets (concert, sports event, museum, musical, etc.)
There is no traditional 64th wedding anniversary gemstone, so let your creativity flow.
- Tie Pin
Whether you set a sun-blessed new trend with a gemstone gift, or savour an indulgent meal, make sure your 64th year together is marked by another memorable snapshot for the bulging family photo album.