Traditional, Modern and Symbolic Anniversary Gifts
Below is a list of both traditional and modern gift materials, as well as classic flower and gemstone symbols, which mark a couple’s 61st wedding anniversary in countries around the world…
|Traditional Gift – UK||No traditional gift|
|Traditional Gift – US||No traditional gift|
|Traditional Gift – Spain||No traditional gift|
|Traditional Gift – Germany||No traditional gift|
|Traditional Gift – Russia||No traditional gift|
|Traditional Gift – France||Platanus/Plane Tree|
|Traditional Gift – Italy||No traditional gift|
|Flower Gift||Garden Shrub|
|Gemstone Gift||No traditional gemstone|
|Modern Gift||Luxury Cruise|
About 61st Wedding Anniversaries
The years have flown by since you exchanged your vows – more than six decades of wonderful memories shared with your spouse as you celebrate your 61st wedding anniversary.
Then there are the many changes in the world that you have both witnessed… possibly, the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, the “birth” of rock ‘n’ roll, the advent of television, incredible scientific discoveries, and amazing technological advances. Like all these historic events, your 61st wedding anniversary deserves a memorable celebration.
How to Celebrate a 61st Wedding Anniversary
There are no specific symbols or traditional meanings associated with this 61st anniversary, but you can still surprise your loved ones with a special gift. Why not buy a newspaper, local or national, with the date of the wedding?
This will certainly give many hours of pleasure, bringing back memories not only of key political events that took place on your parents’ or grandparents’ special day, but also the cost of living and fashion styles of that decade.
This anniversary will also be an event the whole family wants to celebrate, so why not club together and book a 61-day cruise aboard the MS Queen Elizabeth, a wonderfully luxurious gift for a richly deserving couple.
For those couples who may not like the idea of a cruise, preferring to keep their feet on terra firma, you could book a trip from London to Venice aboard the Orient Express, renowned for its luxury and opulence – and certain to be hugely appreciated by a couple celebrating 61 years of marriage.
Cut flowers are always a wonderful gift, filling the home with their beautiful fragrance, but this year why not consider a special shrub for the garden. It will grow and continue to provide memories for years to come. A good garden centre will be able to advise you on the perfect gift.
Fun Facts about “The Love Boat”
Younger couples might not be familiar with “The Love Boat” but from 1977 to 1986 the romantic comedy/drama – set on a luxury passenger cruise ship – was one of the most widely watched TV series in the US and elsewhere in the world. To recap…
- The show was a spin-off of an original 1976 made-for-TV movie of the same name, which in turn was based on the non-fiction book “Love Boats” by real-life cruise director Jeraldine Saunders.
- Production was shot on two operative cruise ships, the Pacific Princess and Island Princess. Real cruises were booked and the actual passengers played extras during certain scenes. These “televised” cruises were always sold out.
- Nevertheless, only part of the filming was aboard an actual ship, as most of The Love Boat was shot on soundstages set up as cabins, the dining area and the ship’s hallways.
- Numerous celebrity stars appeared in the TV series over the years, including Joan Collins, Gene Kelly, Hulk Hogan and Janet Leigh.
- A Saturday Night Live sketch featuring Patrick Stewart as the guest star merged The Love Boat with Star Trek: The Next Generation. Stewart played the cruise ship captain, and caricatures of Deanna Troi and Geordi LaForge played the cruise director and barman, respectively.
- The Love Boat’s theme song was written by Paul Williams and Charles Fox. For the show’s first eight seasons it was performed by Jack Jones before, in season nine, Dionne Warwick took over.
- After The Love Boat concluded, the Pacific Princess was involved in a drugs scandal. In 1998, the BBC reported that the ship had become “a major tool for smugglers bent on trafficking drugs around the Mediterranean”. More than 50 pounds (23 kilograms) of heroin was discovered aboard the ship in November that year, and the liner was impounded in Greece, temporarily stranding 600 passengers.
- The MS Princess was sent to a Turkish scrapyard in 2013.
Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas for Him, Her, Parents and Grandparents
Travel & Experience Gifts
- Luxury afternoon tea for two
- Relaxing spa day at a boutique hotel
- Wine tasting and vineyard tour
- Cocktail-making and spirits tasting
- Theatre show or music concert tickets
There is no traditional 61st anniversary gemstone, so let your creativity flow.
- Tie Pin
Whatever you decide, be sure to mark this momentous 61st wedding anniversary with a celebration that provides the couple, family and friends with wonderful new memories.