Traditional, Modern and Symbolic Anniversary Gifts
Below is a list of both traditional and modern gift materials, as well as classic flower and gemstone symbols, which mark a couple’s 60th wedding anniversary in countries around the world…
|Traditional Gift – UK||Diamond|
|Traditional Gift – US||Yellow Diamond|
|Traditional Gift – Spain||Diamond|
|Traditional Gift – Germany||Diamond|
|Traditional Gift – Russia||Diamond|
|Traditional Gift – France||Diamond|
|Traditional Gift – Italy||Diamond|
About 60th Wedding Anniversaries
The sparkling milestone of your 60th wedding anniversary is appropriately known as the Diamond Anniversary. Diamonds are precious, impregnable and enduring – qualities that are also symbolic of a couple celebrating 60 years of married life. In fact, it is said that the fire in a diamond symbolises the constant flame of love.
How to Celebrate a 60th Wedding Anniversary
If you are celebrating this momentous achievement in a Commonwealth country, you can expect to receive the rare honor of a telegram from the current monarch. Enjoy the moment – it is richly deserved.
With 60 years of marriage behind you, there is little that you have not seen and shared together, so this is a wonderful time to sit back and reflect on what you have both accomplished and the happiness the past six decades have brought you.
Starry Night Bouquet – £29.99, Serenata Flower
60th Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas for Him, Her, Parents and Grandparents
When considering gifts for the 60th anniversary, you will need to give your choice more careful thought than for most celebrations. Couples who have spent 60 years together will probably have just about everything they need and by now be content enjoying the simple, comfortable and homely pleasures of their married life.
Like dinner at a favourite restaurant, for example, or taking in a show. If you do buy them tickets for the theatre or a concert, make sure this year they have the best seats in the house.
Alternatively, a short break at a boutique hotel, with a spa and relaxing afternoon of revitalising wellness treatments, would be just as warmly appreciated.
The flower commonly associated with a 60th wedding anniversary is the iris, which symbolises faith, hope, wisdom and purification. No matter what colour you choose, this stunningly elegant flower would make a beautiful bouquet for your partner, suffused with poignant sentiments.
You can’t cry on a diamond’s shoulder, and diamonds won’t keep you warm at night, but they are sure fun when the sun shines.” Quoted by: Elizabeth Taylor
60th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him
What can I buy my husband for our 60th wedding anniversary?
Montblanc Urban Spirit Cufflinks – £220.00, Goldsmiths Jewellers
Personalised Wine and Newspaper Gift Set – £64.99, Personalised Gift Shop
Our Special Place Heart Keepsake – £27.99, Personal Gift Shop
Your Own Photo Latte Mug – £14.99, Snapfish
These ideas, both modern and traditional, would also make great gifts for parents or grandparents celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary. Tailor your choice around their special interests and activities, or perhaps opt for personalised message gifts – which come in many items including vases, glass tumblers, wine glasses, etc.
Chocolate & Cheese Gifts
Buy each other or the celebrating couple a treat – some like chocolate while others are partial to cheese.
Luxury Chocolate Truffles – £36.50, Love Cacoa
Cadbury Love Chocolate Basket – £30.00, Cadbury
Best of British Tasting Box – £40.00, Pong Cheese
The Connoisseur Gift Box – £58.00, Pong Cheese
60th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Her
What should I buy my wife on our 60th wedding anniversary?
White Gold 0.15ct Diamond 4 Claw Pendant – £450.00, Goldsmiths
Celebrations 60th Anniversary Framed Wall Plaque – £7.49, Gift Experience
60th Anniversary Photo Frame – £16.99, Gift Experience
Personalised Plant Pot – £13.99, Snapfish
- Bouquet of mixed flowers
- Scented or personalised candles
- Creative gift (collage picture of all the family)
- Silk-painted scarf
- Gourmet chocolates
- Pampering vouchers (manicure, pedicure, hair styling)
60th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Parents and Couple
Two Hearts Entwined Tall Vase – £60.00, Royal Doulton
Radiance Trinket Box – £30.00, Royal Doulton
Personalised Photo Upload Jigsaw – £13.99, Gift Experience
Landscape A3 Hardcover Photo Book – £38.99, Snapfish
Travel & Experience Gifts
Gourmet Getaways Gift Box – £119.99, Red Letter Days
Deluxe Two Night Break with Dinner – £179, Red Letter Days
We have a great selection of experiences for all ages here.
- Location visit
- Travel and activity gift vouchers
- Gourmet escapes
- Country house stay and dinner for two
- Food and drink (afternoon tea for two)
- Escape to the country (many locations to choose from)
- Luxury spa day for two
- Champagne afternoon tea for two
- Tour of the Royal Pavilion in Brighton and cream tea for two
The traditional 60th wedding anniversary gemstone is diamond.
- Tie Pin
About the Royal Diamond Jubilee
The tradition of celebrating a 60th anniversary dates to when Queen Victoria marked the Diamond Jubilee of her 60 years on the British throne.
- On 23 September 1896, Victoria surpassed her grandfather George III as the longest-reigning British monarch.
- George III died a few months before his Diamond Jubilee was due in 1820.
- Queen Victoria requested that any special celebrations be delayed until 1897 – to coincide with her Diamond Jubilee.
- The jubilee was made a festival of the British Empire at the suggestion of colonial secretary Joseph Chamberlain.
- The prime ministers of all the self-governing dominions were invited to London for the festivities.
- Foreign heads of state were excluded from the invitations, reportedly to avoid having to invite Victoria’s grandson, Wilhelm II of Germany, due to concerns he might cause trouble at the celebrations.
- The Diamond Jubilee procession on 22 June 1897 followed a six-mile (10-kilometre) route through London and included troops from all around the British empire.
- Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee was celebrated throughout the Commonwealth in 2012.
- In 2017, Elizabeth II became the first British monarch to reach a Sapphire Jubilee.
A Final Thought…
If there is ever a time to enjoy a sumptuous party themed around you and the love of your life, this is it. For example… featuring music and fashion that was popular in the year of your marriage, with floral table arrangements incorporating the iris, attended by your extended family and long-standing friends – and catered for by your favourite restaurant.
The perfect opportunity to add even more cherished memories to the glittering album of 60 years of indissoluble love and romance… Enjoy this remarkable celebration.