Traditional, Modern and Symbolic Anniversary Gifts
Below is a list of both traditional and modern gift materials, as well as classic flower and gemstone symbols, which mark a couple’s 5th wedding anniversary in countries around the world…
|Traditional Gift – UK||Wood|
|Traditional Gift – US||Wood|
|Traditional Gift – Spain||Wood|
|Traditional Gift – Germany||Wood|
|Traditional Gift – Russia||Wood|
|Traditional Gift – France||Wood|
|Traditional Gift – Italy||Wood|
|Gemstone Gift||Rose Quartz|
About 5th Wedding Anniversaries
Can you believe the two of you are now celebrating your 5th wedding anniversary and have been married for half a decade? How quickly time goes by – at least for many couples.
Clearly, a 5th wedding anniversary (popularly known as the Wood Anniversary) is well worth marking with a grand celebration.
In ancient times, trees symbolised strength and wisdom. On a human level, by the fifth year of marriage a couple will be developing strong, deep roots like a venerable oak tree. While, no doubt, also gaining insight and understanding from any mistakes and stumbling moments during their first half decade together.
They will have learned one of the most important lessons of all, and one of the secrets to a successful marriage: forgiveness.
How to Celebrate a 5th Wedding Anniversary
Wood – the traditional 5th anniversary gift – is strong and long-lasting, and signifies the strength of your marriage bond.
If you enjoy antiques, this could be a perfect 5th wedding anniversary gift for your partner. However, rather than buying a piece of furniture, why not surprise them with a couple of days in the country, where you can go exploring and scouting for antique finds together?
Many country towns have antiques markets – ideal for finding the perfect piece, and happily haggling over the price. Not only will you have a fun-filled weekend, and return home with a great gift, but you will also always remember your anniversary when you look at the item you have discovered and chosen together.
Let’s go 50 years more and 50 again. The moon is too close so let’s shoot for the stars.” Quoted by: Ronan Keating (celebrating his 5th wedding anniversary, in August 2020, with wife Storm)
The 5th wedding anniversary flower is the daisy. It is a relatively small flower but it has large and significant meaning, depicting innocence, loyal love (“I’ll never tell”), purity, love that conquers all, beauty and simplicity.
The gemstone is the rose quartz, which symbolises love and friendship. It is said to remove negativity, fear and nervousness, and increase strength of body and mind. So, you have many different gift options for your special half-decade celebration.
5 Fun Facts about the Number 5
- The number 5 is both a rare prime number (that is, only divisible by itself and the number one) and a Fibonacci number, part of a frequent yet unexplained sequence within mathematics that is also found in nature – for example, how some tree branches grow, and in artichoke flowers and pine cones.
- Humans are commonly believed to have five senses: sight, smell, touch, taste and hearing. However, we also have a sense of space, a sense of balance, a sense of direction and a less scientific sense of humor (most of us at least, to varying degrees). Then there’s the “sixth sense” – or proprioception – which is the sense of self-movement and body position.
- The Olympics symbol comprises five rings of equal size. Created in 1913, the flag’s colours (blue, yellow, black, green and red, plus a white background) were used in every country’s flag existing at the time. They also represent the five original participating continents: Africa, Asia, America, Europe and Oceania.
- In 1921, French designer Coco Chanel – whose favourite number was five – released her Chanel No. 5 perfume on 5 May (the fifth day of the fifth month).
- In Hinduism, the god Shiva has five faces, Panchakshari (a mantra dedicated to him) is known as the Five Worded mantra, and the universe comprises five elements: water, fire, air, space and earth.
5th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him
What should I buy my husband on our 5th wedding anniversary?
As this is the traditional Wood Anniversary, consider your husband’s hobbies or special interests when trying to find his perfect gift.
Alternatively, what about something a little quirky – or simply delicious.
5th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Her
What gift should I buy for my wife on our 5th wedding anniversary?
The ideal gifts for your wife can also vary depending on her interests and hobbies – either traditional or modern.
Fun and traditional 5th anniversary gifts for your wife…
Don’t forget to check out our other anniversary days for additional gift suggestions for him, her and both.
5th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him & Her
Travel & Experience Gifts
- Location visit
- Vouchers (for silverware)
- Boutique hotel stay
- Restaurant (a perennial favourite or that special one you always wanted to check out)
- Theatre show or concert tickets
- Artisanal wood furniture
- Vineyard visit and wine tasting
- Spa day for two
The traditional 5th wedding anniversary gemstone is rose quartz.
- Tie Pin
Something Different & Unique
- Take a tour of a traditional silversmith’s workshop.
- Book tickets for a woodchopping competition.
- Join the TV audience at an Antiques Roadshow.
- Arrange a surprise holiday to an enchanted forest.
Enjoy your special day. A half decade together is an excellent occasion to celebrate in style.