Traditional, Modern and Symbolic Anniversary Gifts
Below is a list of both traditional and modern gift materials, as well as classic flower and gemstone symbols, which mark a couple’s 50th wedding anniversary in countries around the world…
|Traditional Gift – UK||Gold|
|Traditional Gift – US||Gold|
|Traditional Gift – Spain||Gold|
|Traditional Gift – Germany||Gold|
|Traditional Gift – Russia||Gold|
|Traditional Gift – France||Gold|
|Traditional Gift – Italy||Gold|
|Flower Gift||Yellow Rose|
About 50th Wedding Anniversaries
The 50th golden wedding anniversary is one of the most venerable milestones in married life. And rightly so, as it is a rare celebration for any couple.
Appropriately, the 50th wedding anniversary symbol is gold… beautiful, strong and resistant to corrosion. All qualities that are essential for a marriage to last for 50 years…
How to Celebrate a 50th Wedding Anniversary
This golden anniversary has been celebrated for hundreds of years, and today remains a poignant statement about the gift of married life.
It is important not to let your 50th wedding anniversary become caught up in everyday life and routine, or be overwhelmed by plans your friends and families might be making for a big to-do. Make sure you and your spouse also enjoy some personal and quality romantic time alone.
If you are lucky enough to be able to celebrate your parents’ or grandparents’ 50th wedding anniversary, you should (of course) do your absolute best to make it a truly memorable occasion and an opportunity to show how much you appreciate and admire them.
Family members could make a DVD slideshow of the couple’s years together. This doesn’t require any substantial financial outlay, and any couple married for 50 years would love to gather with their family and friends and re-live the treasured snapshots of their marriage.
One excellent idea would be to begin the show with pictures of your parents as children, and work your way through births, holidays, family celebrations, etc., to the present. Also make sure to include some of their favourite songs over the years – and decades.
Tolerance is the one essential ingredient of any happy marriage. The Queen has that quality in abundance.” Quoted by: Prince Philip
50th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him, Her, Parents and Grandparents
Anniversary gifts of gold jewellery or flowers are both symbolic of 50 years, with the traditional flower being a yellow rose – symbolising inner joy, light and happiness.
The beauty of a long prosperous marriage – of friendship and true love – is also symbolised by the violet in some cultures. Modesty, humility and faithfulness… “I’ll always be there.”
50th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him
What can I buy my husband for our 50th wedding anniversary?
Our anniversary suggestions offer a variety of gift options, and most of them can be purchased for him, her or the celebrating couple.
50th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Her
What should I buy my wife on our 50th wedding anniversary?
We have many more gift ideas on our other anniversary pages if you cannot find exactly what you are looking for here.
50th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Parents, Grandparents… and Other Couples
Travel & Experience Gifts
- Luxury afternoon tea for two
- Relaxing spa day at a boutique hotel
- Wine tasting and vineyard tour
- Vintage car drive through the countryside
- Scenic train journey with lunch
The traditional 50th anniversary gemstone is gold.
- Tie Pin
Something Different & Unique
- If you have not yet enjoyed the ultimate train journey, now is the perfect time to pack your finest outfits and board the Venice Simplon–Orient Express.
- Visit Champagne-Ardenne, one of four French regions which the 50th parallel north passes through, and savour an exquisite anniversary meal… obviously accompanied by the famous local sparkling wine.
- For something a little more exotic (and further afield), you could book an anniversary holiday in Colombia – the most recent country (according to latest UN figures) to reach 50 million in population.
- Arrange a luxury boat cruise together or with friends around the Med or Caribbean, and set sail on the holiday of a lifetime.
Famous Couples Who Have Celebrated Their 50th Wedding Anniversary
As you celebrate your 50th wedding anniversary this year, you will be in some seriously illustrious company. Arguably, the most famous and enduring marriage is that of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, who shared their wedding vows on 20 November 1947 – and enjoyed golden wedding celebrations in 1997.
Other couples who have also celebrated 50 years of married life together (some sadly no longer with us) are:
- Alma Reville and Alfred Hitchcock: 50th wedding anniversary – 2 December 1976
- Barbara and George H. W. Bush: 6 January 1995
- Angela Lansbury and Peter Shaw: 12 August 1999
- Anne Buydens and Kirk Douglas: 29 May 2004
- Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman: 29 January 2008
- Prunella Scales and Timothy West: 26 October 2013
Now is the time to enjoy your own remarkable anniversary milestone, and cherish the memories of the past 50 years.