Traditional, Modern and Symbolic Anniversary Gifts
Below is a list of both traditional and modern gift materials, as well as classic flower and gemstone symbols, which mark a couple’s 4th wedding anniversary in countries around the world…
|Traditional Gift – UK||Fruit and Flowers|
|Traditional Gift – US||Linen and Silk|
|Traditional Gift – Spain||Linen|
|Traditional Gift – Germany||Silk|
|Traditional Gift – Russia||Linen|
|Traditional Gift – France||Wax|
|Traditional Gift – Italy||Linen|
|Gemstone Gift||Blue Topaz|
|Modern Gift||Electrical Appliances|
About 4th Wedding Anniversaries
A 4th wedding anniversary is popularly known as the Fruit and Flowers Anniversary, representing a couple’s blossoming partnership. To mark this fourth year of marriage, flowers are an appropriate and meaningful gift. Symbolic flowers are the geranium (meaning gentility) and the hydrangea, because of its enduring grace and beauty.
How to Celebrate a 4th Wedding Anniversary
For 4th wedding anniversary gift inspiration, look to both traditional and modern symbols that are associated with four years of marriage. If you prefer to celebrate in other ways, why not visit a local fruit farm and spend the day picking fruit followed by a picnic with wine.
The symbolic colours of this anniversary are blue or green, so spending the day together outdoors would be a fitting and extremely appropriate celebration.
Love is a fruit in season at all times, and within reach of every hand.“ Quoted by: Mother Theresa
4th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him, Her… and the Couple
Gemstones associated with this anniversary are blue topaz and blue zircon – both signifying romance and commitment.
A piece of jewellery or an ornament in the shape of fruit or flowers is an excellent idea if you would like to treat your partner to something that is both special in this current celebratory moment and a wonderful keepsake for the future. Gemstones can often be found in fruit and flower designs, while brooches and earrings are also great 4th wedding anniversary gifts.
The modern alternative is electrical appliances, certainly a welcome gift if some of yours are getting old or worn out after four years, and need replacing. Nevertheless, when choosing an appliance as an anniversary gift, it is always best to opt for something that is more of a luxury item than a necessity.
A cutting-edge coffee machine is an excellent 4th anniversary gift idea. Choose a retro or modern design to blend in with your home décor.
4th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him
What can I buy my husband for our 4th wedding anniversary?
Traditionally, the 4th wedding anniversary gift is fruit and flowers, but many men would possibly be a little taken aback by such a gift. In this case, a modern 4th wedding anniversary gift for your husband could be a cool electrical appliance – or something related to electrical items and gadgets.
We have listed a great selection of both traditional and modern gifts to mark your 4th wedding anniversary. If you can’t find the right one here, check out our other anniversary dates for additional gift suggestions.
4th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Her
What should I buy my wife on our 4th wedding anniversary?
You can go traditional or modern when choosing a gift for your wife to celebrate a fourth wedding anniversary. Most important… it should reflect her grace and beauty.
We have more great gift suggestions below and on our other anniversary pages.
4th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him & Her
Travel & Experience Gifts
- Location visit (to a science museum followed by lunch)
- Gift vouchers (for electrical appliances)
- Three-course dinner (try that restaurant that has great reviews)
- Luxury afternoon tea for two
- Adrenaline day for two
- Luxury spa day for two
- Luxury hotel and wine tasting
The traditional 4th wedding anniversary gemstones are blue topaz and blue zircon.
- Tie Pin
Something Different & Unique
- Visit Kew Garden in London or the Eden Project in Cornwall.
- Plan a new garden and visit a local nursery for hydrangeas or a fruit tree.
- Enjoy a surprise short holiday to a fruit farm or vineyard.
- Arrange a celebration party at home or in a local pub, bar or restaurant.
No matter what you choose for your 4th wedding anniversary gift, be sure to have a fantastic time together and enjoy your special day.
All About the Eden Project in Cornwall
The Eden Project is an educational charity established with the objective of connecting people with each other and the living world – and “exploring how we can work towards a better future”.
- The visitor destination in Cornwall nestles in a huge crater, where massive Biomes house the largest rainforest in captivity.
- Plants, exhibitions and stories provide a backdrop to contemporary gardens, summer concerts and year-round family events.
- The original hole in the ground was a working china clay pit nearing the end of its economic life in 1995.
- Over the next few years, initial designs drawn on a napkin over drinks in a pub were transformed into giant bubbles – which can settle on any shaped surface, even irregular clay pits.
- After years of fund-raising, the educational facility received a Millennium Commission grant in 2000 and was named one of the Landmark Millennium Projects.
- The Eden Project officially opened on 17 March 2001.
- Pulp starred in August 2002 at the first of Eden’s one-day music festivals. Other performers since then have included Amy Winehouse and Oasis.
- The Rainforest Canopy Walkway highlights the importance of rainforests in influencing the world’s climate, and of preserving rainforests worldwide.
- People can support the Eden Project by making a donation or becoming a member. Money raised supports transformational projects and learning programs.