Traditional, Modern and Symbolic Anniversary Gifts
Below is a list of both traditional and modern gift materials, as well as classic flower and gemstone symbols, which mark a couple’s 49th wedding anniversary in countries around the world…
|Traditional Gift – UK||No traditional gift|
|Traditional Gift – US||No traditional gift|
|Traditional Gift – Spain||Zircon|
|Traditional Gift – Germany||Cedar|
|Traditional Gift – Russia||Cedar|
|Traditional Gift – France||Cedar|
|Traditional Gift – Italy||Zircon|
|Flower Gift||Purple Orchids|
|Modern Gift||Luxury Goods|
About 49th Wedding Anniversaries
Just one more year to what is, for many couples, the mother of all anniversary milestones. In the meantime… congratulations on your 49th wedding anniversary.
With the passing of the years, your relationship continues to grow stronger so there are plenty of reasons to celebrate this anniversary in style, even if you are also looking ahead to the big 50th.
There are no traditional themes associated with the 49th anniversary, but a modern-day alternative is luxury goods.
How to Celebrate a 49th Wedding Anniversary
Depending on individual taste this could range from a 49-day luxury cruise to a five-star hotel pampering.
If your tastes are simpler, you might consider a two-person hammock for your patio as a luxury item, where you can enjoy some quiet time together watching the sun go down.
A luxurious treat could also be a vintage bottle of wine or some excellent port, enjoyed with friends around the dining table and accompanied by a delicious Stilton. Or, if you have a sweet tooth, handmade Belgian chocolates savoured while watching a classic romantic tear-jerker on the telly.
Once a year, go some place you’ve never been before.” Quoted by: Dalai Lama
49th Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas for Him, Her… and the Couple
Orchids are commonly associated with luxury and the colour purple – so purple orchids would make the perfect floral gift. If jewellery is more of a preferred option, how about an orchid-shaped brooch in purple?
For a special celebration, book a table for two at a Michelin-star restaurant, and enjoy an exquisite tasting menu you would never dream of preparing for yourself at home – once tasted, never to be forgotten.
49th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him
What can I buy my husband for our 49th wedding anniversary?
These 49th anniversary gift ideas are just the ticket if you want to follow the luxury theme for your husband.
49th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Her
What should I buy my wife on our 49th wedding anniversary?
We hope our gift suggestions help you enjoy a great anniversary celebration that is just as special as all the previous 48.
49th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for the Couple… or Parents and Grandparents
Experience Days For Couples
Travel & Experience Gifts
- Travel gift vouchers
- Show and meal (candlelit dinner for two)
- Hotel stay and art classes
- Relaxing spa day for two
- Vineyard visit and wine tasting
The traditional 49th wedding anniversary gemstone is zircon.
- Tie Pin
Something Different & Unique
- Enjoy afternoon tea at the Ritz… dainty sandwiches and decadent chocolate éclairs, or macaroons served on a multi-tiered bone china cake stand.
- Splash out on custom-made shoes and designer clothes, and ooze luxury when you next step out together.
- Perhaps it’s time to treat yourselves to the ultimate luxury holiday: for example, a cruise to the Antarctic – or a weekend getaway by private jet to Monaco.
It is still 12 months to another exceptional anniversary milestone, but 49 years together is also pretty amazing. Even if you decide to keep the celebrations fairly low-key this year, make sure they still provide you with lovingly-enduring memories.
10 Exotic Island Destinations for a Memorable Luxury Getaway
As noted above, this is the perfect anniversary year to treat yourselves to a luxury holiday – and it would be hard to beat an island resort with all the sumptuous trimmings. Here are 10 enticing options around the world…
- Dalmatian Islands (Croatia): chilled-out ambience and rich history, with charming villages and boutique restaurants.
- Mauritius (south-east African coast) – alluring natural environment, renowned for its multi-ethnic and cultural diversity.
- Maldives (Indian Ocean) – comprising 26 natural atolls, ideal waters for divers, snorkelers and surfers.
- Seychelles (east of Kenya) – archipelago of coral and granite islands with UNESCO-listed jungles.
- Bora Bora (French Polynesia) – verdant volcanic landscape in the South Pacific.
- Hamilton Island (Queensland) – in the heart of Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, with pristine white beaches and diverse marine life.
- Palawan (Philippines) – paradisiacal island with stunning limestone peaks.
- Ko Phi Phi (Thailand) – magnificent peaks rising from tropical waters that extend along palm-lined beaches.
- Kaua’i (Hawaii) – popularly known as the “Garden Isle”, replete with abundant rainforests, waterfalls, lava cliffs and tropical flora.
- St Lucia (Caribbean) – picture-postcard setting of twin volcanic peaks, coconut palm forests, nature trails and hot springs.