Traditional, Modern and Symbolic Anniversary Gifts
Below is a list of both traditional and modern gift materials, as well as classic flower and gemstone symbols, which mark a couple’s 35th wedding anniversary in countries around the world…
|Traditional Gift – UK||Coral and Jade|
|Traditional Gift – US||Coral|
|Traditional Gift – Spain||Coral|
|Traditional Gift – Germany||Coral|
|Traditional Gift – Russia||Coral|
|Traditional Gift – France||Ruby|
|Traditional Gift – Italy||Coral|
|Flower Gift||Coral-Coloured Bouquet|
About 35th Wedding Anniversaries
You might be sensing something mystical as you celebrate your 35th wedding anniversary. Throughout history, various cultures have associated coral with sacred and magical properties. And, as recently as the 20th century, coral was worn to protect against sterility.
So warm congratulations on reaching your 35th wedding anniversary, popularly known as the Coral Anniversary. Another year of personal achievement… and a time to celebrate a shared life of many magical moments over an impressive three and a half decades.
How to Celebrate a 35th Wedding Anniversary
While the classic gift for a 35th wedding anniversary is coral, a more modern option is jade. Therefore, for those wanting to follow tradition, a 35th wedding anniversary gift should ideally involve coral or jade to some extent.
Of course, not everyone is a pure traditionalist when choosing a gift for their spouse, parents or another couple celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary.
If you don’t think they will be all that interested in jewellery, a trip to an exotic location to visit coral reefs would add a wonderfully luxurious touch to their celebrations.
Alternatively, on a smaller scale, you could opt for a pleasant day-trip to a local aquarium or even to a special place you visited in the early years of your marriage… maybe that romantic seaside town you both enjoyed.
10 Cool Facts about Coral
Coral reefs are among the world’s most cherished, and fragile, ecosystems. Here are some interesting facts to help us understand why…
- Coral reefs are the largest structures on earth of biological origin.
- Coral reefs are believed to have begun forming as long as 240 million years ago, although today’s established colonies are between 5,000 and 10,000 years old.
- Contrary to common misconceptions, corals are animals, not plants or rocks.
- A coral reef consists of thousands of soft-bodied animals called coral polyps that collect and accumulate layers of calcium carbonate.
- Even though coral reefs comprise less than one per cent of the ocean, they are home to one-quarter of all marine species.
- Coral reefs generally grow best in warm tropical waters and at relatively shallow depths where sunlight can enter.
- Nevertheless, some have been found in waters with temperatures as low as 4ºC and at depths of 2,000 metres.
- Coral reef water tends to be extremely clear, as plants, animals and organisms act as a filter that traps debris and murky particles.
- An estimated 500 million people around the world consume fish living in coral reefs.
- Coral “barrier” reefs protect coastal communities from storms and water surges, and prevent coastal erosion.
My soul is full of longing for the secrets of the sea, and the heart of the great ocean sends a thrilling pulse through me.” Quoted by: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
35th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him, Her… and the Couple
Jewellery is always a highly coveted wedding anniversary gift, and coral and jade can be combined to create stunning pieces. Coral tends to make an exotic statement, while jade has a smoother look.
If real coral or jade jewellery is not an option, you can buy less expensive coloured jewellery, which has the added advantage of being available in just about any style desired.
Coral or marine-themed gifts – such as coral-coloured accessories or a seafood dinner – also make excellent 35th wedding anniversary choices.
35th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him
What can I buy my husband for our 35th wedding anniversary?
Men enjoy gifts made of coral or jade just as much as women. A set of jade cuff links or a coral-coloured lapel pin, for example, would certainly be well-appreciated.
Here are some other gift suggestions to celebrate a 35th wedding anniversary…
35th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Her
What should I buy my wife on our 35th wedding anniversary?
We aim to bring you both traditional and modern gift ideas, and we make sure our gift suggestions are fresh and even a little unusual. If you can’t find exactly what you want here, there is also a great selection on our other anniversary pages.
35th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him, Her, Parents… and Other Couples
Travel & Experience Gifts
- Location visit
- Travel and activity gift vouchers
- Adventure days
- Food and drink (afternoon tea for two)
- Cocktail mixing and spirits master class
- Escape to the country (many locations to choose from)
- Luxury spa day for two
- Dolphin and whale watching
The traditional 35th wedding anniversary gemstone is coral – and the modern gift is jade.
- Tie Pin
Something Different & Unique
- Really push the boat out (literally) by visiting the famous Great Barrier Reef off Australia’s northern Queensland coastline.
- Or, closer to home, visit a coral reefs exhibition at a natural history museum.
- Take scuba diving lessons so you can take full advantage of your coral reef holiday experience of a lifetime.
- Arrange an excursion to Pembrokeshire (Wales), the “home of coasteering”.
- Organise a celebration party at home or in a local restaurant, and theme the festivities with pearl colours and photos from the past.
Above all else, celebrate a beautiful 35th wedding anniversary that provides more poignant photo memories. And do it in appropriately grand style – you’ve earned it.