Traditional, Modern and Symbolic Anniversary Gifts
Below is a list of both traditional and modern gift materials, as well as classic flower and gemstone symbols, which mark a couple’s 30th wedding anniversary in countries around the world…
|Traditional Gift – UK||Pearl|
|Traditional Gift – US||Pearl|
|Traditional Gift – Spain||Pearl|
|Traditional Gift – Germany||Pearl|
|Traditional Gift – Russia||Pearl|
|Traditional Gift – France||Pearl|
|Traditional Gift – Italy||Pearl|
About 30th Wedding Anniversaries
It has a wonderful ring to it: 30th wedding anniversary. A magnificent moment for any married couple achieving such a remarkable milestone.
Also referred to as the Pearl Anniversary – or the more tongue-twisting trigentennial – this celebration is universally celebrated with one of the Earth’s most precious jewels.
Yes, pearls are the official traditional gift for the 30th wedding anniversary. Lying hidden deep inside an oyster shell, they emerge as exquisite and treasured gems of nature.
Symbolising hidden beauty, purity, charity, honesty, wisdom and integrity, pearls define the best human qualities. For long-time couples, they are a reminder that true beauty comes from within – and that what is most valuable is the shared experience of a richly maturing life.
How to Celebrate a 30th Wedding Anniversary
After 30 years of love, friendship and unity, many couples will have grown-up children, and possibly even grandchildren, who will also be overjoyed to enjoy the anniversary celebrations.
In fact, it is more than likely that the extended family will want to take on the responsibility of organising a party that commemorates this landmark date in appropriately grand style – and let the couple simply relax and embrace cherished guests as they arrive for the celebrations.
For a decorative touch, the traditional 30th wedding anniversary flowers – lily and sweet pea – can be used as a main theme for the party.
10 Pearls of Wisdom
These days, the term “pearls of wisdom” is often used sarcastically to refer to clichéd slogans about life. In the early 1800s, however, it referred to wise advice that was, at least metaphorically, as precious as pearls. The gemstone is also, historically, believed to bring wisdom to its wearer. Here, no hackneyed catchphrases… simply some cool and interesting facts about pearls.
- Pearls are the only gemstones to come from a living creature, whereas rubies and diamonds – for example – are created under the Earth’s crust.
- The oysters that saltwater pearls come from are revered by many gourmands as one of life’s most exquisite culinary delicacies (although opinions are divided), and the oyster shell produces the mother of pearl.
- On average, fewer than one in every 10,000 wild oysters contains a pearl.
- The three major types of saltwater-cultured pearls are Akoya, Tahitian and South Sea. More common (95 per cent of global production), but less valuable, are freshwater pearls, mostly supplied by Chinese farms.
- In addition to being a white iridescent colour, pearls also range from pink to brown and can even be black. The different colour depends on the type of mollusc and the water where the mollusc lived.
- Japanese entrepreneur Kokichi Mikimoto is credited with successfully creating the first cultivated pearl in 1896, and today only one per cent of pearls used in jewellery come from a natural source. With overfishing having depleted the wild oyster population, cultivation processes are promoted as being a more environmentally friendly and sustainable option.
- The largest pearl ever known to exist was found off the Philippines coast inside a giant clam and kept under its fisherman owner’s bed for a decade as a good luck charm. It was only discovered in 2016 when his house burnt down. Officials verified its size as 26 inches (66 centimetres) long and 12 inches (30 centimetres) wide, and nearly 75 pounds (34 kilograms) in weight – and it has been valued at $100 million.
- French researchers discovered what is believed to be the oldest pearl (more than 7,500 years) in 2012, in a gravesite in the United Arab Emirates.
- According to legend, Cleopatra won a bet against Marc Anthony after boasting she could host the most expensive dinner in history. Her servants were instructed to obtain a powerful vinegar and dissolve one of her pearls worn as earrings (two of the largest pearls then known to be in existence) in the solution, which she drank as a cocktail.
- Pearls have traditionally been attributed with the power to make relationships closer and stronger – and also to keep children safe.
The pearl is the queen of gems and the gem of queens.” Quoted by: Grace Kelly
30th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him, Her… and the Couple
Each anniversary year is marked by specific gifts, both traditional and modern. With pearls being the classic gift, popular 30th anniversary ideas for women include a pearl necklace, pearl earrings or pearl bracelet. For men, pearl cufflinks or a pearl tie pin make excellent choices.
For something a little more modern, diamonds would be just as joyously received. You really can’t go wrong with either: pearls or diamonds.
30th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him
What can I buy my husband for our 30th wedding anniversary?
Here we have some traditional 30th wedding anniversary gift suggestions for you, including stunning jewellery.
If you would like to buy something different for this anniversary, check out the ideas below, or hundreds of additional gift suggestions on our other anniversary pages.
30th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Her
What should I buy my wife on our 30th wedding anniversary?
Bearing in mind that pearls and diamonds are the traditional and modern-day gifts, respectively, here are a few great ideas…
But that’s not all… below are more suggestions for gifts that would also be ideal for this special occasion.
30th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him, Her, the Couple… and Parents
Still looking for the perfect gift? How about these 30th anniversary ideas below. An experience day gift for the couple, or for each other, will certainly create treasured memories to share for many years to come.
Travel & Experience Gifts
- Location visit
- Travel and activity gift vouchers
- Adventure days
- Food and drink (afternoon tea for two)
- Escape to the country (many locations to choose from)
- Luxury spa day for two
- Country house weekend getaway
- London Rock-n-Roll Legends Tour
The traditional 30th wedding anniversary gemstones are pearls and diamonds.
- Tie Pin
Something Different & Unique
- Plan a tour of some of Europe’s most romantic and alluring cities… Paris, Venice, Prague, Santorini, St.Moritz.
- Head off for an adventurous holiday pearl-hunting – in the Persian Gulf, Japan or Western Australia.
- Book tickets for one of your favourite 1980s bands – you can still catch plenty of old rockers performing live at reunion concerts.
- Camp out at a 1980s weekend music festival, for an authentic retro experience.
- Return to your honeymoon location and relive the passion.
Ask any long-married couples to reveal the secrets of their happiness and longevity, and you will receive many different answers. They would all agree on at least one common aspect, however: sharing marriage vows 30 years ago was a magical high point of their lives.
Now it’s time for another one – a 30th wedding anniversary party celebrated in the grandest style possible. Of course, the definition of style varies from one couple to another.
Some would prefer a relatively subdued celebration with just an intimate circle of friends and family; others, more robust festivities with just about everyone and their dog… neighbours, colleagues and 30 years of acquaintances invited to party into the early hours.
Whichever celebratory path you follow, enjoy the moment – 30 years of moments, in fact, all leading to this special day.