Author: Justin Aldridge – Page Updated: 20 November 2023
We’ve featured third-party gifts to help you choose some great gifts for your wedding anniversary. Purchases made through links on this page may earn us a commission.
Traditional, Modern and Symbolic 2 Year Anniversary Gifts
So, you’ve completed 2 years married. It may not seem like a milestone but the first years can be the toughest. Here’s my guide to help you make the most of this important occasion…
Discover the 2nd year anniversary
Can you believe it’s been two years since you both said ‘I do’? Time really does fly, doesn’t it? They often say the first years are the hardest, but you’ve both made it look effortless. I’ve put together a simple guide to help make your 2nd wedding anniversary more special.
SEA GLASS HAPPY ANNIVERSARY [Etsy]
A wonderful handmade artwork displaying two birds in love and a heart shaped balloon, all made with sea glass and pebbles. The sea glass and pebbles are collected by the artists from the beautiful Mediterranean beaches in Southern Spain.
The perfect frame for an Anniversary gift.
The traditional gift for the 2nd anniversary is cotton. Now, before you roll your eyes thinking about mundane things like bedsheets or soft furnishings, let’s think out of the box. Cotton symbolizes freshness, breathability, and the ever-evolving strength of your relationship.
How about a pair of matching bandanas for your next DIY project at home? Nothing screams team spirit quite like twin swag.
You can step it up with workout clothes that say it all—think breathable matching tees for your partner with “Couples who sweat together, stay together”.
You can both slip on some cotton aprons for those messy yet romantic cooking sessions. Or cozy up with custom cotton pillowcases that whisper sweet nothings as you two drift off.
Diamonds may be a girl’s BFF, but for your 2nd anniversary, the traditional gemstone is garnet. Just like the two of you, garnet is about deep connection and everlasting commitment. This vibrant red stone symbolizes eternal love, passion, and devotion.
A stunning garnet necklace, a dainty bracelet, or a pair of stylish earrings can make your lady love swoon. For the dudes, a garnet-studded tie pin or classy cufflinks can add just the right touch of sophistication to his style.
So, we’ve talked about cozy cotton and glamorous garnets, but what about something that grows just like your relationship? Ah yes, flowers!
With two years down, your marriage is probably unfolding as beautifully as a flower in bloom. For the 2nd anniversary, the traditional flower is the cosmos. Its playful pink petals and girlish charm capture the sweetness and fun you both share.
Why not bring that symbolism home? You could go traditional with a bouquet of cosmos to brighten up your space. Or, for a twist, a chic cotton scarf featuring a cosmos pattern.
The modern 2nd wedding anniversary gift is china. Think of it as the grown-up version of getting a gold star sticker, but way more stylish and, honestly, way more useful.
It’s about celebrating the ‘we haven’t broken the good dishes yet’ phase of marriage. And if you have, well, here’s to new beginnings with a shiny china set that’ll make your takeout look Michelin-starred. It’s delicate, sure, but it’s also a symbol of the beautiful intricacy of your two-year-strong partnership.
And let’s not overlook the unspoken promise that comes with these pristine plates – the commitment to handle your relationship with the same care and appreciation.
How Long You’ve Been Married
2 years / 24 Months / 730 Days / 17,520 Hours / 1,051,200 Minutes (more or less)
Gift Ideas for your Husband
Surprise your wonderful husband with thoughtful gifts to celebrate your 2nd anniversary. Here are some gift ideas that are sure to get a thumbs-up:
- Cosy cotton pajamas – for lazy weekends sleeping in
- His and hers coffee mugs – to fuel all your adventures
- Game night bucket – because couples who eat together and play together, stay together!
- Book of “IOU’s” for back massages, date nights, and breakfast in bed
- Romantic picnic basket – filled with all your favorite snacks and bubbly
- Funny – A pair of really outrageously funny boxer shorts!!
Try this special wish:
“No matter what we do, I’m just excited to spend time with my best friend and fabulous husband. Here’s to laughing, dreaming, and making more incredible memories together.
I love you honey!
XOXO, Your loving wife”
Gift Ideas for your Wife
Treat your darling wife to delightful gifts that will make her feel pampered and loved on your 2nd anniversary! Here are unique ideas to fill her day with joy:
- A couples massage – for relaxing together
- Cooking class date night – to make her favorite meal
- Custom poetry book – celebrating your love story
- Picnic adventure – gifted in a wicker basket
- Candlelit dinner – under the stars that you plan yourself
- Romantic getaway – to revisit where you honeymooned
- Heartfelt love letter – recalling your most cherished memories
- Fun – A pair of personalized socks or underwear with an inside joke
Try this special wish:
“My darling wife,
It’s hard to believe it’s already been two years since we exchanged our sacred vows and began this beautiful journey as partners for life.
I fall in love with you more each day.
Love always, Your adoring husband”
Gift Ideas for the Couple
Looking to wow that lovey-dovey couple in your life? We’ve got just the thing to make their cotton anniversary extra special!
- Matching plush cotton robes and slippers
- Custom mug set with their names on
- Picnic basket filled with gourmet goodies
- Tickets to a comedy show or concert
- Couples pamper day at a luxury spa
- Wine and paint night date at an art studio
- Game night bucket with favorite board and card games
- His and hers cooking aprons with a funny message on each
Don’t forget to include sweet greeting cards, bottles of bubbly or framed photos from friends and family wishing this couple well.
Get Your FREE Annual Wedding Anniversary Reminder…
Fun ways to Celebrate
Whether you’re crafting an at-home spa experience or soaring through the sky on a helicopter adventure, the key is to find what makes you both laugh and smile.
At home idea:
Transform your home into an oasis of love. Kick off your shoes and get your hands dirty in the kitchen together, attempting to outdo each other with your secret recipes.
As the night winds down, throw on some cotton robes and cozy slippers, light a few candles, and enjoy an easygoing spa night at home. You can even apply face masks and take turns giving massages.
On a budget idea:
Who says you can’t have an epic anniversary without spending a ton? Create a playful photo scavenger hunt. Map out all the nearby places that hold a special spot in your hearts and visit each of them to take a selfie.
Pack a picnic with homemade treats from the local store, find an empty park bench, and enjoy the simple pleasure of good food and great company under the open sky.
An adventurous idea:
Adventure is out there, so why not chase it? Take a sunset helicopter ride over your city, and then cap it off with dinner at the hottest spot in town. Or for a twist, try indoor skydiving and share some airborne giggles without ever stepping outside. Have some fun up in the air!
A luxury idea:
Get an artist to turn a photo from your favorite moment into a painting. It’s a cool way to freeze that memory in time. After that, chill out at a spa and just enjoy some downtime together. Later, you can grab dinner at a fancy spot for a fine dining extravaganza.
Afterward, let the evening wind down with a stay at a luxurious hotel, where you can clink glasses of vintage wine and sink into the comfort of a plush king-sized bed. Some of these swanky places even have a pillow menu to order different types of pillows to sleep with – who knew?!
Common Questions about the 2nd Wedding Anniversary
A: The 2nd wedding anniversary is known as the Cotton Anniversary.
A: The 2nd wedding anniversary gemstone is the Garnet, it is also a stone of strength and safety and a stone of prosperity and abundance.
A: The 2nd wedding anniversary is symbolized by the cotton and is thus known as the cotton anniversary.
A: The colour synonymous with the 2nd wedding anniversary is Red or Linen White.
A: The traditional gift for the 2nd wedding anniversary is cotton, and the modern gift is a china set.
A: The classic flower for 2nd wedding anniversary is Cosmos, they symbolize happiness.
Traditional and Modern Gifts Around The World
|Traditional Gift – UK
|Paper or Cotton
|Traditional Gift – US
|Traditional Gift – Australia
|Traditional Gift – Canada
|Traditional Gift – Spain
|Traditional Gift – Germany
|Traditional Gift – France
|Traditional Gift – Italy
Around the World
How do couples worldwide mark their second year of marriage? Let’s explore the diverse and festive traditions.
- Korea: As couples celebrate their second anniversary, they often choose to exchange wooden gifts. This tradition is rooted in the belief that wood symbolizes the growing strength and steady maturity of their relationship.
- Russia: The second anniversary carries a unique tradition: couples mostly give each other garlic. This is less about flavor and more about symbolism; it’s believed that garlic has the power to fend off evil spirits and bad luck.
- Poland: Polish couples often give each other geraniums. These flowers are a special shout-out to the solid friendship and all the good times they share in their marriage.
- Japan: Straw is traditionally given as a gift for the second wedding anniversary in Japan to symbolize happiness and prosperity.
- Mexico: Couples in Mexico celebrate their second anniversary with a wreath of flowers, which is a symbol of their eternal love.
- India: The second anniversary is usually celebrated by husbands gifting their wives a cotton sari. This tradition reflects the comfortable and honest life they’ve built together.
Couples around the world choose gifts that mirror the qualities of a growing marriage: strength, trust, and love. The gifts may vary from country to country, but the message they carry is universal.
Looking for further inspiration? Check out our 2nd Anniversary UK Gift Ideas.
About The Author
Justin is passionate about helping couples to make their anniversary as special as possible. Justin enjoys being creative and coming up with different and inspiring ideas for couples to celebrate their anniversary in style each year.