Traditional, Modern and Symbolic Anniversary Gifts
Below is a list of both traditional and modern gift materials, as well as classic flower and gemstone symbols, which mark a couple’s 28th wedding anniversary in countries around the world…
|Traditional Gift – UK||No Traditional Gift|
|Traditional Gift – US||No Traditional Gift|
|Traditional Gift – Spain||Amber|
|Traditional Gift – Germany||Carnations|
|Traditional Gift – Russia||Nickel|
|Traditional Gift – France||Nickel|
|Traditional Gift – Italy||Amber|
About 28th Wedding Anniversaries
The 28th wedding anniversary is frequently a year of major adjustment. As you celebrate 28 years of marriage, this is a wonderful moment to reflect on how far the two of you have journeyed together.
For many, the 28th anniversary is a breathtaking time of change, with grown-up children charting their own course in life and parents having more time to themselves.
How to Celebrate a 28th Wedding Anniversary
There is no standard traditional gift associated with the 28th wedding anniversary, but the orchid has become a popular modern theme.
This highly coveted ornamental plant – delicate, exotic and graceful – represents love, luxury, beauty and strength. In ancient Greece, orchids were associated with virility.
If in doubt, one relatively easy way to select an appropriate gift is to look for something connected to the flower. A greeting card could, for example, be created in the likeness of an orchid; while orchids or orchid bulbs are also common choices.
If I see an orchid that’s fantastically expensive, I’ll buy it. It’s worth it, for no other reason than it gives me pleasure.” Quoted by: Lee Radziwill
28th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him, Her… and the Couple
Sticking to the orchid theme, find the perfect print to match a room in the couple’s home. Move beyond literal to fanciful, and have fun thinking of interesting ways to represent traditional orchids.
Jewellery always makes a wonderful gift for any anniversary. For this year’s celebration one excellent option would be to buy a piece that features an orchid design and also uses the traditional 28th anniversary gemstone, amethyst.
Amethyst is a meditative and calming stone, which is said to work within the emotional, spiritual and physical planes to provide calm, balance, patience and peace.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT THE 28th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY
Q: What is the 28th wedding anniversary called?
A: The 28th wedding anniversary does not have a traditional name; however, as its symbolic flower and modern gift is the orchid, it could be known as the “Orchid Anniversary”.
Q: What is the 28th wedding anniversary gemstone?
A: The 28th wedding anniversary gemstone is amethyst, which is known to relieve stress and strain, and to possess healing and purifying elements among its other properties.
Q: What is the 28th wedding anniversary symbol?
A: The 28th wedding anniversary symbol is the orchid and, as noted above, the gemstone is “healing” amethyst.
Q: What is the 28th wedding anniversary colour?
A: The 28th wedding anniversary does not have any colour popularly associated with it, but the amethyst’s beautiful purple colour would make it especially appropriate for this year’s symbolic colour.
Q: What are the traditional and modern gifts for a 28th wedding anniversary?
A: We do not have a traditional gift for a 28th wedding anniversary, but you could base your choice on the modern gift of the orchid flower.
Q: What is the 28th year anniversary flower?
A: The 28th wedding anniversary flower is the orchid. There are many different types of orchids – over 20,000 species around the world – and they are natural air purifiers and believed to possess medicinal properties.
28th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him
What can I buy my husband for our 28th wedding anniversary?
Here are more great suggestions for his 28th wedding anniversary gift, or you could check out our other anniversary pages for hundreds of additional ideas.
28th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Her
What should I buy my wife on our 28th wedding anniversary?
Have a look at these other gift suggestions for her 28th wedding anniversary celebration…
28th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Friends… or Parents
Gift ideas for an “in between” anniversary, such as the 28th, can be a challenge. Think of something meaningful that will represent the many years they have spent together.
With just a little creative thought and consideration, you can certainly find the perfect 28th anniversary gift to delight the celebrating couple.
If you are on a budget, these gifts are ideal for a couple…
Travel & Experience Gifts
- Gourmet meal and wine tasting
- Helicopter ride
- Theatre show or music concert tickets
- Dolphin and whale watching trip
- Travel and activity gift vouchers
The traditional 28th wedding anniversary gemstone is amethyst.
- Tie Pin
Something Different & Unique
- Explore the Orchid Garden of England in East Kent, followed by a pub lunch in the heart of orchid country.
- Plant your own orchid garden, for a timelessly beautiful home haven.
- Simply enjoy a pleasant weekend away in the country searching for orchids.
- If your budget extends to an overseas trip, include Singapore in your travel plans and visit the National Orchid Garden.
The elegant delicacy of orchids and the contemplative calm of amethysts are the perfect combination to embody 28 years of blissful marriage.
Take this opportunity to recall all those cherished times, as you edge closer towards the milestone of three decades together.
10 Cool Facts about Orchids
Orchids are the largest and one of the oldest families of flowering plants in the world…
- As orchid varieties have been found throughout the world, experts believe they date to a period in history before the continents separated.
- Orchids can live up to a century.
- There are over 25,000 species of orchids, more than the number of mammals and birds.
- Orchids vary in size from that of a small coin to over 100 kilograms.
- They have miniscule seeds (only able to be seen under a microscope), with a single pod containing as many as three million seeds.
- Bilaterally symmetrical, each orchid flower can be divided in half, leaving two perfectly equal parts.
- Once germinated, orchids take about five to seven years to bloom. They are easy to grow at home, and can re-bloom several times a year.
- Some orchids bloom for months and others for just hours, depending on the species.
- The only commercially grown orchid crop is the Vanilla planifolia species, with the popular cooking ingredient extracted from its pod.
- Substances isolated from orchids are used to produce perfumes and create spices, and in traditional Asian medicine.