Traditional, Modern and Symbolic Anniversary Gifts
Below is a list of both traditional and modern gift materials, as well as classic flower and gemstone symbols, which mark a couple’s 26th wedding anniversary in countries around the world…
|Traditional Gift – UK||No Traditional Gift|
|Traditional Gift – US||No Traditional Gift|
|Traditional Gift – Spain||Rose|
|Traditional Gift – Germany||Jade|
|Traditional Gift – Russia||Jade|
|Traditional Gift – France||Jade|
|Traditional Gift – Italy||Rose|
About 26th Wedding Anniversaries
The 26th wedding anniversary is often a time when couples start to reframe their lives. After the festive jubilation of the previous year’s silver milestone, the focus returns to everyday aspects of married life – and (in many cases) a growing family.
Popularly dubbed the Picture Anniversary, this year tends to be a less complicated one than others when it comes to choosing gifts.
The ideal option would be to buy artwork to hang in your home. Or, if your budget allows it, commission an artist whose work you particularly admire to paint a portrait of your partner or both of you – or a favorite landscape setting.
Alternatively, you could visit some of the great art galleries around London and elsewhere in the UK, or really splash out and plan a grand tour of galleries abroad including New York, Paris and Florence.
That would certainly ensure a romantic cultural holiday that neither of you will ever forgot.
How to Celebrate a 26th Wedding Anniversary
Apart from artwork, there are no other traditional gift symbols for the 26th wedding anniversary, at least not in the UK or US.
Modern-day gifts for a 26th anniversary do not necessarily have to be original artworks. They can, for example, also be photographs.
With online companies now offering personalised gifts created from your favourite photographs, perhaps you could design a photo album in book form with pictures of past years’ anniversary celebrations.
These can also be converted into a DVD, so plan your celebration around a candlelit evening meal (or favourite takeaway) at home, savouring a tipple or two while taking a trip down memory lane.
26th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Parents
Picture gifts for a 26th anniversary should be a thoughtful commemoration of your parents’ lives together – and treasured family moments.
Have one of their wedding photos printed onto canvas with an attractive frame to mark 26 years of marriage, or used to create note cards or stationery.
A collage of photos can be beautifully framed, or you can lovingly compile a scrapbook of pictures taken throughout the 26 years of their marriage.
Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Quoted by: Pablo Picasso
26th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him & Her
Many shops offer original ideas to display photographs, such as mugs and blankets. In fact, with today’s cutting-edge printing techniques, just about any item imaginable can be transformed into a poignant anniversary gift.
A portrait-sitting for your partner – or the two of you together – would also make an especially original and indelible photographic gift.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT THE 26TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY
Q: What is the 26th wedding anniversary called?
A: The 26th wedding anniversary is called the Picture Anniversary.
Q: What is the 26th wedding anniversary gemstone?
A: The 26th wedding anniversary gemstone is jade, which is known as a protective stone and is said to attract good luck and friendship.
Q: What is the 26th wedding anniversary symbol?
A: There is no traditional symbol for a 26th wedding anniversary – but, with the modern gift being artwork, it has become known as the Picture Anniversary.
Q: What is the 26th wedding anniversary colour?
A: The 26th wedding anniversary does not have any specific colour associated with it; however, jade green would be an excellent option for gift ideas this anniversary.
Q: What are the traditional and modern gifts for a 26th wedding anniversary?
A: The 26th wedding anniversary does not have a traditional gift, but the modern gift for this anniversary is artwork.
Q: What is the 26th year anniversary flower?
A: The 26th wedding anniversary flower is the rose, a flower that comes in many different colours and is always associated with love and romance.
26th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him
What can I buy my husband for our 26th wedding anniversary?
Thomas Sabo Skull Bracelet Green – £98.00, Acotis Diamonds
I Love You Shiny Silver Photo Frame – £19.99, Personalised Gift Shop
Stadium Tours – £40, Red Letter Days
Men’s Sports Clothing & Shoes – POA, Jogging Point
Looking for more anniversary gift suggestions for your husband? Check out our ideas below…
Mini Combat Laser Tag Pistols – £14.99, Prezzybox
Wall Art Posters Prices Vary – £29.99, GB Posters
Chocolate Football Gift Box – £18.00, Cadbury Gifts Direct
Smartphone Projector 2.0 – £19.99, Prezzybox
Sunny Daze Bouquet – £36.99, Flying Flowers
26th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Her
What should I buy my wife on our 26th wedding anniversary?
Vivienne Westwood Savile Ladies’ Watch – £235.00, Goldsmiths
Thomas Sabo Multi-Coloured Cat Constellation Pendant – £279.00, Acotis
Photo Upload Compact Mirror – £13.99, Gift Experience
Body Shop Gifts – prices vary, The Body Shop
Still looking for something? We have more anniversary gift suggestions below for your wife…
Home Beauty Treatment – £50.00, Blow Ltd
Craft Compendium – £29.99, Prezzybox
I Love You Personalised Framed Print – £29.99, Gift Experience
Personalised Sweets for My Sweet Jar – £26.99, Gift Experience
26th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him, Her… and Parents
Rural Retreats Gift Box – £89.99, Red Letter Days
Home Decor Prints From Your Own Photos – £17.99, Snapfish
Personalised Anniversary Year Book – £44.99, Snapfish
Chocolate Heaven Hamper – £29.50, Funky Hampers
Experience Days For All
Travel & Experience Gifts
- Location visit (quiet getaway for two or include the family)
- Travel and activity gift vouchers (from Red Letter Days)
- Adventure days
- Food and drink (gastronomic break for two)
- Escape to the country (many locations to choose from)
- Luxury spa day for two at Champneys (UK-wide locations)
- V&A drawing class
- Photoshoot and styling days
The traditional 26th wedding anniversary gemstone is jade.
- Tie Pin
Something Different & Unique
- Plan a UK city break and take in one of the country’s top art galleries.
- Spend a pleasant day visiting galleries in your area to buy original artwork for the home – with a break for lunch and a celebratory bottle of wine.
- Book art lessons together, for beginners if you are starting out or to refine your technique if you already dabble in a bit of painting.
- Return to one of the picture-postcard villages you visited during your last European holiday – or open a new scrapbook chapter of travel memories.
The art of love is all about enjoying each moment together and sharing common interests and tastes.
Make sure your celebration highlights the special memories of 26 years of married life, and remember that a touch of romance never goes astray – no matter how many years you have been together.
Cool Facts about Alphabets
There are 26 letters in the alphabet – at least the English one. The modern English alphabet is believed to have originated around the seventh century from Latin script. Since then, letters have been added or removed to create the current alphabet of 26 letters (with no diacritics, digraphs and special characters).
- The ampersand (&), which often appeared as a character at the end of the Latin alphabet, is sometimes recognised as a 27th letter of the English alphabet.
- The word “alphabet” is a compound of the first two letters of the Greek alphabet: “alpha” and “beta”.
- Generally considered to be the first “true alphabet”, the Greek was developed on the basis of the earlier Phoenician alphabet.
- Dozens of alphabets are currently in use, with Latin being the most popular.
- Many languages modify the Greek alphabet by adding letters formed using diacritical marks.
- The Khmer alphabet (Cambodian) is the longest, with 74 letters.
- As for the Greek alphabet, by the end of the fourth century BC the 24-letter Euclidean alphabet (ordered from “alpha” to “omega”) had become standard, and this version is still used to write Greek today.
- There are 27 letters in the Spanish alphabet – “ñ” being added to the commonly used English alphabet.
- The French and English alphabets share the same letters, although pronunciations differ from one country to another.
- The modern German alphabet also consists of the 26 letters of the ISO basic Latin alphabet, plus four special letters.
- Alternatively known as Cyrillic, the Russian alphabet has 33 letters: 11 vowels, 20 consonants, and two pronunciation signs.
- The Arabic alphabet (or abjad) is written from right to left in a cursive style and includes 28 letters.
- There is no Chinese alphabet, as we understand the term in the West, but rather more than 6,500 characters that represent an idea, concept or object.