Traditional, Modern and Symbolic Anniversary Gifts
Below is a list of both traditional and modern gift materials, as well as classic flower and gemstone symbols, which mark a couple’s 13th wedding anniversary in countries around the world…
|Traditional Gift – UK||Lace|
|Traditional Gift – US||Lace|
|Traditional Gift – Spain||Lace|
|Traditional Gift – Germany||Parsley|
|Traditional Gift – Russia||Lace|
|Traditional Gift – France||Lily of the Valley|
|Traditional Gift – Italy||Lace|
|Modern Gift||Textiles and Furs|
About 13th Wedding Anniversaries
Ignore superstitions and urban legends when you celebrate your 13th wedding anniversary, also popularly known as the Lace Anniversary.
For many, the number 13 is associated with misfortune, but this is far from the case when it comes to married life. Thirteen has much more of a positive connotation, actually symbolising the good luck that has helped you enjoy 13 wonderful years together – with many more to come.
Lace embodies refined beauty and elegance, just as a 13-year marriage signifies polished and perfected love. So don’t panic: luck is on both your sides.
How to Celebrate a 13th Wedding Anniversary
You might like to celebrate by planning a trip to one of the homes of lace making. Both Nottingham and France have been renowned during centuries for their beautiful lace cloth.
Lace can be found in many guises, including lingerie – which would certainly set the right scene for an amorous night ahead.
One of the traditional gemstones for a 13th wedding anniversary is citrine, known as the success stone. Another modern-day alternative is moonstone, symbolising the kind of passionate love that will fly you to the moon. Currently only metaphorically, of course, but perhaps a travel reality in the not-too-distant future.
13 Cool Facts About the Number 13
- Triskaidekaphobia is the fear of Friday the 13th.
- In Greek mythology, Zeus was the 13th and most powerful god.
- The four seasons each have 13 weeks.
- Thirteen is both a prime and a Fibonacci number.
- The number 13 is the square root of 169.
- Aluminum has an atomic number of 13.
- A standard deck of playing cards has 13 cards in each suit.
- The 13th floor of a building is often changed to 12B, 14A or M (13th letter in the alphabet).
- Children become teenagers at age 13.
- The Thirteen Postures of Tai Chi consist of Eight Gates and Five Steps.
- For a Friday the 13th to occur, the month must begin on a Sunday.
- In China, 13 is traditionally considered a lucky number because its pronunciation sounds similar to the words for “assured growth” or “definitely vibrant”.
- The number also has lucky connotations in Italy, with the expression “fare tredici” (“to do 13”) meaning hit the jackpot.
Yours is the light by which my spirit’s born: you are my sun, my moon, and all my stars.” – Quoted by: E.E. Cummings
13th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him, Her… and the Couple
It is said that if you give your lover a moonstone when the moon is full you will always share passion together. Filigree lace ear rings would make a perfect romantic gift, in keeping with the lace theme. Combined with either of the two gemstones, they would be also be a treasured and valuable gift for years to come.
The classic flowers for the 13th anniversary are the chrysanthemum and the hollyhock, both signifying ambition, fertility, honesty and sincerity. A bouquet made up of hollyhocks and chrysanthemums would make a thoughtful and romantic gift. Or, alternatively, they could be planted in your garden to be a constant reminder of the enduring honesty and sincerity you share.
White is the traditional colour of the 13th wedding anniversary. It is a symbol of innocence and purity, while also being considered a sign of perfection.
Perhaps think about taking a trip to the Spanish Riding School in Vienna to incorporate white into your celebrations.
13th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him
What can I buy my husband for our 13th wedding anniversary?
Many men would not view a lace gift as being all that masculine, so avoid giving gifts made of actual lace in favour of those that feature laces. Or play it safe and just avoid the traditional lace gift, instead finding him something that relates to one of his main interests.
13th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Her
What should I buy my wife on our 13th wedding anniversary?
Your wife would, almost certainly, enjoy a traditional gift of lace and lingerie for her 13th wedding anniversary.
13th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him & Her
Travel & Experience Gifts
- Location visit
- Travel gift vouchers
- Special 13th wedding anniversary location and meal
- Luxury afternoon tea for two
- Historic tour and lunch for two at No Man’s Fort in the Solent
- Luxury spa day for two
- Cocktail-making and spirits tasting
The traditional 13th anniversary gemstones are citrine and moonstone.
- Tie Pin
Something Different & Unique
- Visit the Shard in London, for incomparable views and the “height of dining”.
- Sign up for a local arts & crafts course (learn how to make lace).
- Visit the Lace Market area in Nottingham.
- Enjoy a weekend getaway in Calais, taking in the Cité de la Dentelle et de la Mode lace museum-centre.
No matter where you end up on your 13th wedding anniversary, make sure you enjoy these precious moments recalling the good fortune of having met each other a lucky 13 years ago.