Traditional, Modern and Symbolic Anniversary Gifts
Below is a list of both traditional and modern gift materials, as well as classic flower and gemstone symbols, which mark a couple’s 10th wedding anniversary in countries around the world…
|Traditional Gift – UK||Tin|
|Traditional Gift – US||Tin and Aluminium|
|Traditional Gift – Spain||Aluminium|
|Traditional Gift – Germany||Rose|
|Traditional Gift – Russia||Tin|
|Traditional Gift – France||Tin|
|Traditional Gift – Italy||Aluminium|
|Gemstone Gift||Diamond and Blue Sapphire|
|Modern Gift||Diamond Jewellery|
About 10th Wedding Anniversaries
This is the first seriously epic milestone of your married lives: the 10th wedding anniversary. Popularly known as the Tin Anniversary, it marks 10 years since you shared your wedding vows – an initial decade of cherished memories, reinforced commitments and notable stability as a married couple.
The traditional 10th anniversary gift is tin, symbolising how a successful marriage needs to be flexible and stable, and able to be bent without being broken. Tin symbolises preservation and longevity.
In the past, food was stored in tin-plated iron cans. The tin protected the iron from rust and corrosion, preserving the food inside – potentially forever.
How to Celebrate a 10th Wedding Anniversary
The added significance of this being your 10th wedding anniversary means that any celebration should be even more impressive than the nine preceding it. Clearly, a couple celebrating 10 years together have shown they have the commitment and determination to go the distance. So make sure this 10th wedding anniversary is celebrated in appropriate style.
Think about really pushing the boat out and enjoying a second honeymoon in a distant exotic destination that has been on your joint holiday bucket list for years but was never quite possible – until now.
Or perhaps return to where you spent your original honeymoon, and relive those wonderful first nights together as a married couple.
Or, for something symbolic representing 10 years of marriage, visit the tin mines of Cornwall followed by a candlelit dinner on the beach.
The flower for this particularly special occasion is the daffodil, a trumpet-shaped plant representing joy, cheerfulness, high regard, chivalry, happiness and new beginnings.
For something a little unusual, how about planting a bed of these beautiful yellow trumpets in an old tin bath – not only a gift for the day but also a timeless reminder for future years.
“Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.” Quoted by: Aristotle
10 Fun Facts about the Number 10
- An estimated 10 per cent of the world’s population is left-handed.
- For Pythagoras, 10 was the most sacred number. His reasoning? The number 1 represents existence, 2 creation and 3 life, there are four elements (earth, air, fire and water) – and they add up to 10 (1+2+3+4).
- 10 Downing Street has been the British prime minister’s official residence and office since 1735.
- The Roman numeral for 10 is X, which resembles two Vs (the Roman numeral for 5) joined together.
- Historically, rather than “to destroy”, decimate more accurately means “to reduce by a 10th”, in reference to a punishment inflicted on mutinous and cowardice Roman legions.
- The length of an adult’s hand is approximately 1/10th of their height.
- The 10th trump or “Major Arcana” card in a tarot deck is the Wheel of Fortune (X).
- Decadactylus means having 10 fingers and decemdentate is having 10 teeth; while crabs belong to a group of 10-footed animals called decapods.
- In the Bible, Moses received the Ten Commandments and other laws from God on Mount Sinai, after the Israelites had escaped from slavery in Egypt and started their long journey through the wilderness to the Promised Land.
- And finally… the world’s top-10 best-selling albums of recorded music (total certified copies, according to Wikipedia):
- Michael Jackson – “Thriller”
- Eagles – “Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975)”
- Eagles – “Hotel California”
- Adele – “21”
- Shania Twain – “Come on Over”
- AC/DC — “Back In Black”
- Led Zeppelin – “Led Zepellin IV”
- Whitney Houston/Various Artists – “The Bodyguard”
- Fleetwood Mac – “Rumours”
- Metallica – “Metallica”
10th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him, Her… and the Couple
A 10th anniversary celebration requires a suitably memorable gemstone gift, and they don’t get much more enduring and momentous than diamonds and blue sapphires – both stones representating durability and beauty.
Whether you are planning a full-on party with all the festive trimmings for friends and family, or just a serene romantic meal at home, you can theme the celebration with silver and blue colours.
Your dreams, ambitions and hopes for the future may not always be the same as your partner’s. Nevertheless, one of the great beauties of marriage is that you both live to make each other’s dreams come true. Especially after 10 years of marriage together…
10th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him
What should I buy my husband on our 10th wedding anniversary?
A 10-year anniversary gift for him can be stylish or sweet but remember: it should be something that reflects how well you know him. Is he a sports fanatic, techie or outdoor type, or just someone who loves to relax and quietly unwind?
We have more 10th anniversary gift suggestions below.
10th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Her
What should I buy my wife on our 10th wedding anniversary?
Pretty clear this one… The best gift for your wife when celebrating a 10th wedding anniversary would be jewellery that symbolises 10 years of marriage: blue sapphires or diamonds – or (if you really want to impress) an item encrusted with both gemstones.
Here we have more anniversary gift suggestions for her, covering most budgets and including quirky ideas for those seeking something a little out of the ordinary.
10th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Him & Her
Travel & Experience Gifts
- Location visit
- Travel gift vouchers
- Track day for two (learn to drive performance cars together)
- Romantic 10th wedding anniversary getaway and meal
- Luxury afternoon tea for two
- Luxury spa day for two
- Hot air balloon ride
The traditional 10th wedding anniversary gemstones are tanzanite, multi-coloured tourmaline and sapphire.
- Tie Pin
Something Different & Unique
- Buy an attractive tin figure for your garden.
- Visit a daffodil farm in the Netherlands.
- Book a surprise holiday getaway at a boutique hotel (with luxury spa).
- Enjoy a Michelin-star restaurant dinner with a 10-course tasting menu.
Whatever you do eventually decide, make sure you give it the careful and creative consideration a 10th wedding anniversary deserves. This truly is one milestone that needs to be celebrated in grand style.